I mentioned in my previous post that I wasn't able to download any app from the Windows 8 Store. I have investigated the issue a bit and have found the cause and a workaround.
Every time I try to purchase or download something from the Windows Store I get the following, not very informative, error: Your purchase couldn't be completed. Something happened and your purchase can't be completed. In the Windows event log I found the following entry, with a timestamp corresponding exactly to time the error occurred:
Log Name: System Source: Schannel Date: 3/3/2012 4:53:55 PM Event ID: 36888 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: User: SYSTEM Computer: w8latitude Description: A fatal alert was generated and sent to the remote endpoint. This may result in termination of the connection. The TLS protocol defined fatal error code is 70. The Windows SChannel error state is 105.
This indicates some kind of networking error. I'm running a Windows NT domain, and was connecting over Wifi via a NAT router to the internet, so I tried a direct connection using an ethernet cable to my cable modem (actually to the Telenet hub just in front of my cable modem. The hub provides connectivity to my Telenet HD Digicorder and to my wireless router) to exclude any issues internal to my own network.
Even the direct connection didn't work. I have a Telenet Fibernet subscription, so speed is definitely not an issue. Whatever the problem is, it is not on my side of the network.
Some users have reported that their problem was solved by using a VPN, so I tried to use a different network.
A workaround for the Windows Store download problem.
I happen to have a couple of data capable SIM cards, so I tried the following alternative internet connections:
- A Colruyt Mobile SIM, using a Novatel Wireless 2352 MiFi (EDGE/3G mobile Wifi router), connecting via Wifi. This uses the Mobistar EDGE network on my location. Since this is a WiFi connection, Windows 8 doesn't even know it is connecting over a mobile broadband connection.
- An Irish Vodafone SIM, which I use to have internet connectivity while I'm travelling outside Belgium. This Vodafone SIM card is very popular with travellers, because it provides a relatively cheap roaming solution within Europe. When I use this in Belgium, it is actually roaming over the Proximus 3G network. I used this SIM with the internal broadband modem of my Build tablet.
Both broadband networks allowed me to properly download and install apps from the Windows Store! The Vodafone connection was clearly faster than the Colruyt Mobile connection because of the use of 3G. When I disconnect the broadband connection and use my Telenet connection again, downloading from the Windows Store doesn't work anymore.
So the workaround is to try a different network e.g. a 3G or VPN connection. The problem doesn't appear to be an installation problem nor a Windows Account configuration problem, but a pure networking problem.